Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gorgeous George Turns 9

Last week Georgia turned 9 and I wanted to toss out there some of my favorite Georgia pictures and stories. Though Georgia's officially a US citizen, her true nationality is "Is-fraili." Not only does she suffer from migraines, she is also the most susceptible to any bugs going around. She woke up Sunday with a fever and at 10 am she jumped up from the couch saying, "I'm gonna barf!" but never made it past the kitchen. I threw the trash can under her as she puked her guts out. Bea was sitting at the counter eating cereal watching all this and when Georgia finished, Bea clapped her hands and said, "Do it again! Do it again!" That said, she's a model patient and I've had the time of my life lounging around with her watching fun movies. Today I showed her "Little Women" and we both cried when Beth died.
Here's "Zsa" with her favorite Uncle Mio.

When she was this age I'd ride around on my bike with her in the attached seat and she'd kick my behind and shout: "Faster! Faster!" She would also beg me for every purse she saw when we'd be out and tell me she hated me when I wouldn't buy them for her.

Georgia was the BEST baby: a great nurser, slept like Rip Van Winkle, easy going. My other 3 are dogs: always in my face, slobbering on me, needing constant attention and affection. Georgia is a cat. Very independent. She chooses when she'll curl into your lap and pur. We have to be mindful of how self sufficient lest she be lost in the shuffle. At 5 she made lunch for herself and 3 friends while I was doing laundry. I came upstairs and they each had a toasted cheese tortilla and a cup of milk. Here she is in front of our Beech Street house eating chysthanthemums.

She loves to collect things and put those things in other things (in a box in a bag in a box in a bag). Of course she adores snails because they come with their own little container. And that smile? My sister Angela's.
Georgia right before her first birthday between ear infections.


Millie's arrival brought out the bossy in Georgia. How thrilling to have someone to (literally) push around. When she screams "Mill-Lay!" in anger, it is pure profanity. She may pretend otherwise but Georgia is Millie's biggest fan. Becca S. has tons of funny stories about Georgia. My favorite is when Ellie did something that upset Georgia (probably read a book or something while George was still wrestling with the alphabet). Whatever it was, Ellie had NOT done it maliciously but Georgia knew just how to hurt a girl. She looked at the bunkbed and asked Ellie where she slept. Pause. "The bottom." "Well," Georgia replied, "I'm starting a top bunk bed club and fraidy cats like you can't be in it!" I have to say I like her fiestiness because it doesn't cross to cattiness and she is one loyal little buddy.

Whoever said girls were made of sugar and spice never met Georgia. She is made of snails and dead birds like the one she has here and kept for a while then wrote all sorts of stories about her "pet bird" Joey, whose carcass she carted around for days... She and her buddies currently play "Chipmunk Hotel" at recess. I've never asked too many questions because I'm afraid carrion may be involved.

One of these things is not like the other... What I love love love about my Georgia is she does not follow the pack. Here we have Pullen & Parry Princesses and what does Zsa do? Put herself in a burka. Miss Taliban 2007?

She eats snow. But won't eat ice cream. Her favorite foods are mac & cheese, brownies, carrots, apples and Cheezits. Without a weekly dose of McNuggets, she'd be a vegetarian.
For ages Jake & Aidan were her two best friends. One day while upstairs on the couch with Aidan, the two were waiting for Jake to arrive for playgroup. But when the door sounded, Georgia turned to Aidan and hissed, "Quick hide!!! It's my husband!" Dave loved that story and told it to everyone he worked with. To this day I'm sure they all think I must have been stepping out on Dave.
I love my Dodgie, my Zsa, Georgie One Kenobi, Zsazerbyjani, Gurj, Georgia Burnham Rose!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous tribute. My favorite line: "I've never asked questions because I'm afraid carrion is involved." I laughed, I cried, it was much better than Cats.

aunt sue said...

georgie you rule. Let's not forget the full service convenience store in her bed.

Stefawn Von Gordon said...

She once sent me to the cornfield with a mere glance. I still get chills . . .

Heather Parry said...

Sweet Georgia, who could tie better square knots at three than Aidan can at eight. It is because of Georgia that we had to enact the "don't tie anything around anyone's neck" rule at our house. She and Aidan played doggie so much and he was always the doggie. She would just tie a "leash" around his neck, with 17 knots in it, and then yank him around. She is the reason that I made velcro leashes for them to play with when they were three. I heart Georgie.

Unknown said...

never stop writing! I love it all and I love you

Dava said...

Never stop writing is right!!! Love it ALL!!!

One hand...
When Zsa was 2 I tended with Aunt Sue while Papa and Mama got away. One morning she came in screeming, "It's all YOUR fault my mom and pop went on a trip! If YOU hadn't come here they wouldn't be on a trip!"

and then the other:

On our first trip to Sanibel with D&H and the kids, Russ and I were zealously collecting millions of beautiful sea shells, sifting through to hoard the ones we wanted to take home to display. The day we all left, at parting, Georgia said 'I love you Grandma', handed me a small whelk shell and said, "Here's my favorite shell, I want you to have it". It became MY favorite shell, too, and I keep it in a 'special place' in my home and in my heart. xo

ms said...

Hedy, we got the books you guys sent - thank you so much, we're excited to read them to the chillin(s).

Emily said...

I have to say, that last story is one for the ages . . .

Anne said...

you're the bestest mom ever. I want to be georgia's new best friend.